History

Important dates in the life of Cumbrae Parish Church

5th Century  - various Saints from Ireland visited the Scottish west coast islands. Settlements were found in various locations around the island.  The first church was built at Kirkton and was dedicated to St. Maura.

1318 – first records state that the Church was under the jurisdiction of Monks from Paisley Abbey. The church remained on the Kirkton site but was re-dedicated  to St. Columba.

1612 – A new stone building was erected within the old churchyard – a six acre site probably gifted by the Marquis of Bute.

1802 – The Church was again rebuilt (bigger) incorporating an outside stair to a gallery area.

1837 – More peaceful times and the village moves nearer to the sea front – the church was again demolished and much of the original structure was brought to the Bute Terrace site. The original outside door is now the ‘Hebrew Arch’  between the current church sanctuary and the passage to the church hall. The church was built with seating for 650.

1852 – The clock was installed in the church tower at a cost of £52 which was raised by public subscription.

1895 – The Chancel was built and what had been a central pulpit moved to the side. The main ceiling was lowered by 8ft

1843 – The Minister and Elders and many of the congregation leave to form the Free Protesting Church

1864 – The United Presbyterian Church was built – resulting in three different forms of Presbyterianism on the island. All three churches were built to seat between 650 and 700 folk.

1931 – United Presbyterian Church (which in 1900 became United Free Church) joins with the Parish Church

1971 – Free Church also joins the Parish Church

1972 – East and West Church unite to form the current congregation of Cumbrae Parish Church

 

Comments are closed.